What is radon and why is it dangerous?

Radon is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless radioactive gas that occurs naturally from the decay of uranium in soil, rocks, and water. It is considered dangerous because prolonged exposure to high levels of radon can pose significant health risks. Radon gas can enter homes and buildings through cracks in the foundation, gaps in walls or floors, and other openings. When inhaled, radon particles can settle in the lungs, emitting radiation that can damage lung tissue and increase the risk of developing lung cancer. In fact, radon exposure is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers and is responsible for a substantial number of lung cancer cases overall. It is crucial to test for radon and, if elevated levels are detected, take steps to mitigate and reduce radon concentrations to protect your health and the well-being of your loved ones.